Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lil Wayne, Lil Buddha

Last night, Katie Couric, in part of a Grammy Awards special, interviewed Lil Wayne. Lil Wayne, dating back to when he was a child member of the street-harden group of musicians known as The Cash Money Millionaires, has always fascinated me. I used to wonder, “What does this young man have to offer these grown men?”

That was in the late 90s. Though Cash Money Millionaires have come and gone, Lil Wayne, now an adult, is a top selling hip-hop artist. I am vaguely familiar with his current work (I am more familiar with his persona) and what I have heard, I did not like (what can I say, 37 year old white men are not his intended audience). I do recognize however that his music resonates with millions of fans and countless other artists-there is something to him.



I was amused to see Katie interview him due to the obvious strange juxtaposition (who remembers when Busta Rhymes and Martha Stewart presented an MTV award together? this was almost as weird.). Additionally I wanted to see if I could figure out why I have been drawn to him (I have never seen a Lil Wayne interview before).

Katie asked Lil Wayne about his music making process and the rumor that he doesn’t write down any lyrics when recording.

Lil Wayne answered that the music is always created first. And then he shared his secret. He said he listens to the music, and then actually becomes it. From there, words just enter his mind. They stay forever which is why he doesn’t need to write them down (slight paraphrasing).

It was perfect.

I haven’t been able to wipe the smile from my lips for the past 12 hours.



Note: Bob Dylan was interviewed on 60 Minutes about five years ago. He said something very similar when describing how he writes his lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment